Thursday, October 04, 2007

Muai Thai Box on a Whim

I'm a huge advocate of trying new things. Afterall, variety is the spice of life. As I was walking down King Street during lunch, I saw a flyer hanging on the bus shelter for Krudar Muay Thai box classes. I've done martial arts/boxing workouts before but something attracted me to it so i took the contact info and checked out their site. This sounded like my kind of workout - high energy, focused on strength, toning, conditioning, and i get to learn to fight!

So I went after work and tried their beginner class. The gym consisted of one big room with padded floors and numerous padded columns for punching.

The class combined elements of cardio, strength training using body weight, and basic Muay Thai boxing moves - all of which made for an awesome workout.

The workout began with the jump rope and various circular movements to loosen the joints then got progressively more intense with high and fast reps of push ups, squats, sit ups, jumping jacks, and ab moves. Next we learned how to use hand wraps (i'd highly recommend bringing your own) and some basics such as the proper fighting stance, and how to throw punches. Then we ended the workout practicing punches on a partner, more push ups, and stretches.

Overall it was a good high intensity workout. My abs were burning, I felt pumped, and my calves are still a bit sore. I think i'll try the intermediate class next time.

Check 'em out. This month they're offering a FREE 1 week trial.

Krudar Muay Thai Gym
570 King St West, Unit 102

On King between Bathurst & Spadina
http://www.krudar.com

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i agree - excellent workout but those hand wraps were so sweaty and gross! They should replace or at least wash them.