Wednesday, August 27, 2008

The wrist Injury workout

I injured my wrist playing beach volleyball about a month ago and it still hurts. The doctor said I pulled a tendon and it's going to take a while to recover. When I heard that, the first thing that went through my mind was - "OMG!! does that mean I can't workout?!" Well, it certainly means i need to slow down and not put any further stress on the wrist. 

"Slow down?? but like going fast!" 

It was really hard for me to wrap my mind around it but over the last little while, I have found ways. No injury is going to hold me back! Though I did have to stop playing volleyball, the initial culprit. I'm still teaching boot camp but using moves that do not put strain the wrist. You'd be surprised how good a workout you can still get!

For my personal workouts, I've been doing moksha (hot) yoga - great for flexibility and loosening up the joints, rollerblading, cycling 20km 2x/wk - always good for burning the fat, and combined bodyweight and kettlebell flow exercises. No snatches or cleans - just very fluid movements.

Here's a sample 30-35 minute workout:
- perform each move for 30 seconds

Warmup

Bodyweight Superset #1 x3 (9 mins total)
1. swimmer sit ups
2. leg raises
3. knee in/outs
4. plank
5. side plank dips - l
6. side plank dips - r

Kettlebell Superset #2 x3 (7.5 mins total)
1. 1 arm swings
2. figure 8 side lunges
3. meet the queens
4. 1 arm rows
5. side kick squats

Kettlebell Superset #3 x3 (7.5 mins total)
1. tricep back scratchers
2. half squat bicep curls
3. the 'can can'
4. 1 leg health lift
5. standing side reach overs

Stretch

Remember - always burn the fat, and make it happen!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nothing holding you back - loves it!