Friday, May 25, 2007

The Unspoken Rule of the Road

I ride a mountain bike - the Specialized Stumpjumper, to be exact. I bought it a couple of years back when I thought it'd be nice to have a bike to ride around in. Nothing serious, just for leisure. Over the last year, I've become addicted to speed and have made various adjustments to pimp my ride so it's faster. I've raised my seat post a few inches, moved the seat back, lowered the handlebars, and switched my knobbies to slicks. On average, I ride 20km/h, reaching a top speed of 35km/h.

I don't look like your typical hardcore cyclist. I like biking in sandals, regular street attire, and maybe the occasional jersey but i can stll burn some serious rubber on my bike. Cut ahead of me and I can become your worst nightmare. The fact is, i don't like being stuck behind people, nor do I like being beaten.

If you're one of those people who frequent the bike trails, you'll know exactly what i'm talking about. We all do it. It's that unspoken, underlying, instinctively competitive urge and feeling that you are in a race with everyone you see.

Gone is the 'leisurly ride' on the bike path. That's for newbies.

You're going fast. You see someone ahead of you. Feeling the adrenaline rush of it all, you pick up the pace and race ahead of them. Nobody says anything. Unless they are new to the game, the person you just passed would have no idea. If they're road veterans, they will definitely pick up on the challenge. Throughout your ride you find yourself constantly trying to shake this person off your tail (or catch up to them). They know it. You know it. You're both caught in a race until someone turns the corner to go home or stops out of exhaustion.

With passing comes a gratifying sense of victory. Does that make me sound like an overly cometitive person? Maybe. But i love a good challenge.

Tip: if someone passes you, pace yourself so they think you've given up on them THEN speed up and pass them when they least expect it. The feeling is incredible!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

oh so you're the one always cutting ahead of me!

Anonymous said...

omg! i know exactly what you're talking about! It's so much fun!