Friday, July 13, 2007

Stell's top activities


For the past few months, i've been working hard staying on top of my workouts and the pursuit of getting that ever elusive beach body i've been after for so long. Staying active and eating healthy has played an integral role in all this. I like to stay active for the most part, especially since its summer where the sun is out and all is good.

So what have i been doing, you ask?

1. I play beach volleyball once a week. Sometimes twice, if i do pick up. With the hot summer weather, that's incentive enough to tone those abs and get into beach body shape. Not only will you look good on court but you'll also move a whole lot faster, which brings me to #2...

2. Train with the best. I've been working with personal trainer Ryan Shanahan for almost 2 years now. It has helped me stay motivated and become a better athlete. Needless to say, I lost a lot of weight. His workouts utilize moves used by top celebrities and elite athletes. These fat burning workouts incorporate kettlebells, resistance bands, plyometrics, military drills, cardio, and stretching. A killer combination that will melt the fat right off, tone your muscles, and keep you feeling like a million bucks!

3. I joined Diesel Fitness 1 month ago, an urban fitness studio and yoga spa. Let's just say they gave me an offer i couldn't resist. A free, no strings attached summer membership! There, I've been doing spin classes and have really gotten into the cardio combat and boxing classes.

4. Rollerblading along the boardwalk at a fast leisurely pace. One of my personal favorites. This low impact activity is great for cardio and helps build hip, thigh, and hamstring muscles. Just throw some good music onto the ipod and your set. I like to go solo on this one.

5. I changed my mountain bike's knobbies to slicks, which has upped my speed to 30km+/hr. The speed bump is incredible, so I try to cycle to and from work whenever possible. Usually takes me under 30 mins to get there.

6. Walking in the sand. Aside from a beautiful view of the beach, it requires greater effort than walking on a hard surface. Your muscles and tendons will work harder as your foot moves around. Walking in sand requires 2.1 to 2.7 times more energy than walking on hard surfaces and likewise jogging in sand uses1.6 times more energy. The best part, you will burn up to 20-50% more calories.

There you have it, my top activities to staying fit.

No comments: