Tuesday, May 20, 2008

The Birthday Workout

Yesterday was my 27th birthday and coincidentally was also Victoria Day. I had a incredible weekend doing all the things I love - everything from watching the fireworks, cooking a 6 course dinner, eating cake, partying with friends and family, shopping, and of course, fitting in a good workout! It was exactly 4 years ago that I made a promise to myself to lose the weight, get healthy and into the best shape of my life. Yes, i can say i took action, stuck with it, and have achieved all of the above but of course it doesn't end here. I'm always looking for new ways to continue challenging myself, improve, and grow as an athlete and yesterday's workout was no exception.

It happened pretty spontaneously. I was walking along the beach scouting a good location for a kettlebell workout until i saw these olympic rings and monkey bars which happened to be right next to a set of stairs --- just perrrfect!

This workout included a warm up, cardio, bodyweight conditioning with rings, and strength training with kettlebells.

I haven't really worked out with rings much so this proved to be a good challenge and addition to the workout. Great for muscular strength, control and stabilization. I incorporated some pull ups (that was tough, but definitely something i will work up to doing more reps of) and different variations on front flips (ie: slowing down the movement, hanging upside down w/ legs extended or bent for varied times to challenge balance)

Of course, by incorporating kettlebells this is excellent for building functional strength, toning the arms, butt, and core, shoulder mobility, and working the body as one unit. Strength & cardio training all in one - gotta love it!

In honour of it being my 27th birthday, I did 27 reps of the windmill using a 35lb kb for 1 set -- my personal best to this date :)

Feel like a challenge? Give it a try:

ESTELLA'S BDAY WORKOUT

warm up
running stairs (10x up & down)

olympic ring front flips (5)
pull ups (3)

stair run (8x up & down)

olympic ring front flips (5)

using a 35lb kettlebell
3 rounds of the following circuit (left and right):
1 arm swings (10)
1 arm cleans (10)
1 arm military press (5)
windmills (27, 15, 10)

No comments: